- 1 Exeter Trip to France - 2011
- 1.1 Pictures from Geoff and Penny's Trial Run
- 1.2 Pictures from Roy's trip to the Dordogne
- 1.3 Bergerac & The Lot and Dordogne Valleys
- 1.4 Possible Route
- 1.5 Logistics
Exeter Trip to France - 2011
For the last two years we have travelled to Brittany in late May – but this year we have set our sights further afield. We have discussed trips either to either the Dordogne and Lot Valleys or the Cevennes – in early September.
The majority seems to favour the Dordogne and Lot.
Pictures from Geoff and Penny's Trial Run
... click on images for larger version ...
Pictures from Roy's trip to the Dordogne
Bergerac & The Lot and Dordogne Valleys
We would travel to Bergerac and then head east to visit St-Cirq Lapopie, Souillac, and Cajarc and to explore the valleys of the Lot and Cere.
|Red||1||Bergerac||Domme||93 km||93 km||Small part may be done on Day 0|
|Green||2||Domme||St Cirq Lapopie||80 km||173 km|
|Dark Blue||3||St Cirq Lapopie||St Cirq Lapopie||53 km||226 km||Loop could be extended or shortened|
(i.e. possible rest day)
|Pink||4||St Cirq Lapopie||Rocamadour||55 km||281 km|
|Yellow||5||Rocamadour||Donne||58 km||339 km||Would be nice to spend more time Rocamadour?|
|Pale Blue||6||Donne||Bergerac||71 km||410 km|
Bergerac is served by budget airlines (Flybe from Exeter), coaches and trains.
The cost of return flights, trains or coaches, regardless of mode, is about £150.
We are expecting participants to make their own bookings (be it by train, plane or coach). This will allow them to go or return a few days earlier or later if they want to extend their break.
Bike Transport to Bergerac
However in each case the transport of bikes (particularly 10 bikes on one flight) can be problematic – with no guarantee that bikes travel on the same flight as their owners. The cost of a return trip for a bike on Flybe is around £60.
For this reason we have been investigating the cost of hiring touring (hybrid) bikes in France. The bikes will have racks and we can take our own panniers. I plan to take my own saddle!
This doesn't preclude people taking their own bikes - but they must accept that there is a posibility they may not arrive!
A few couples (e.g. Geoff and Penny) plan to travel independently to Bergerac (e.g. by car) and to meet up with us.
Based on our experiences arranging accommodation for the last two trips we think that it is best to limit numbers to about ten.
|Thu 01-Sep-11||£50||Thu 08-Sep-11||£55|
|Sat 03-Sep-11||£87||Sat 10-Sep-11||£92|
|Mon 05-Sep-11||£66||Mon 12-Sep-11||£54|
|Thu 08-Sep-11||£66||Thu 15-Sep-11||£55|
At the moment we are considering the first week in September
- Monday 5 September to Thursday 15 September
|Accommodation; £25 pn||£175|
Note you will have to eat as well.
Finally note that we are not organising a package holiday! – rather we are acting to coordinate a group of friends travelling together.
- Penny Cockram (travel down by car) - Confirmed
- Geoff Cockram (travel down by car) - Confirmed
- Stephanie Houghton (fly down & hire bike) - Confirmed - booked flghts 5/15 September
- Kirby James (fly down & hire bike) - Confirmed - booked flghts 5/15 September
- Roger Spur (go down on Bike bus and make own way back - camping) - Confirmed
- Marylin Spur (go down on Bike bus and make own way back - camping) - Confirmed
- Jenny Ingram (fly down on Mon 5 Sept & return on Mon 19 Sept) - Confirmed
- Tom Ingram (fly down on Mon 5 Sept & return on Mon 19 Sept) - Confirmed
- Don Buteux (hire bike)
- Judy Knowles (fly own bike down on our plane)
- Tim Green (fly own bike down on our plane)
- Marianne James