- 1 Cornwall Trip - Wednesday 4th - Sunday 8th May 2016
- 1.1 Tea, Coffee and Dinner Stops
- 1.2 Overnight Stops
- 1.3 Transport Booked
- 1.4 Hotels and B&Bs Booked
- 1.5 Route Ideas
- 1.6 Research
- 1.7 Links
Cornwall Trip - Wednesday 4th - Sunday 8th May 2016
Tea, Coffee and Dinner Stops
Wednesday - Penzance
Evening - Sheena
- Fountain Inn, St Clare St, 01736 369340, Friendly good pub grub (Wed 2 for 1 on mains) only one veggie option but will provide more if requested in advance
- Dolphin Tavern, Quay St. 01736 354106. Pub grub, vegetarian options
- Bakehouse Restaurant, Old Bakehouse Lane, Chapel St, 01736 331331, Fish, Steak, Vegetarian. pricier than the pubs but looks nice.
- Boatshed Cafe Bar, Wharf Rd. 01736 368845. large menu, vegetarian options.
Thursday - Penzance to Falmouth
Daytime - Glenis
- Roy's route -
- Buy pack lunch in Penzance before leaving;
- Diversion to Porthleven (coffee at Porthleven); (and buy more lunch if already eaten);
- Lunch spot somewhere before Gweek or at Gweek
- Beer / Tea /coffee at Helford Passage and /or Glendurgen National Trust garden
- Various ice cream stops or more tea (?) in the bays on the way to Falmouth
- Keith's route -
- Buy lunch at Penzance before leaving;
- Coffee at Helston station;http://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/visit-us
- Lunch, beer, tea, coffee at Helford before ferry at Shipwrights Arms http://www.shipwrightshelford.co.uk/
- More lunch beer, tea, coffee at Helford Passage after ferry ; (various)
- More tea at Helford and /or Glendurgen National Trust garden
- Various ice cream stops or more tea (?) in the beaches on the way to Falmouth
- It's not compulsory to stop everywhere - but it is important to support the locals!
Evening - Wolf
- Pre-booked at Eden Lodge - meat and vegi options
Friday - Falmouth to Fowey
Daytime - Hugh
Evening - Lyndsay
- The Toll Bar - Fat Cap and Brisket, I, Lostwithiel St, Fowey, PL23 1BD, 01726 832733, Mains (£12-£16) Orders 6-9pm. Better to book in advance.
- The Galleon Inn, 12 Fore Street, Fowey, Cornwall, PL23 1AQU, 01726 833014, (Mains between £7 and £9) Good value, typical pub grub. Orders 6-9pm. Pre-booking not available
- Lugger Inn 5, Fore St, Fowey, Cornwall PL23 1AH, 01726 833435, Good reviews, reference to large portions! Orders 6-8.45pm, Book in advance for more than 6 people.
- The Ship Inn, Trafalgar Square, Fowey, Cornwall PL23 1AZ, 01726 832 230 Posher! Mains £15 -£17!! Tel: 01726 832 273
- Sam’s On the Beach, 20 Fore Street, Fowey, Cornwall, PL23 1AQ Tel: 01726 832 273, 12pm till late Seafood, pasta, pizza Orders till 9pm, No pre-bookings available. People happily queue here!
Saturday - Fowey to Plymouth
Daytime - Penny
- Coffee at Looe where I've booked for 10.30 - 11am.
- Buy lunch in Looe in case we don't see anything suitable after that, but hopefully will find somewhere to eat it.
- Afternoon tea at The Cornish Veggy Cafe for those catching the Cremel ferry or
- Antony House for any wanting to go via Torpoint.
Evening - Jenny
- Eateries near Mariner’s, The Hoe:
- Lots of town centre choice, but particularly recommended on Trip Advisor:
- Quay 33, 33 Southside St, PL1 2LE. 01752 229345, (Mediterranean/British/fish)
- Zuzimos, 153 Vauxhall St, Bretonside PL4 0DF. 01752 651300, (Mediterranean/Spanish/Persian)
- West Hoe Fish Fryers, 7 Radford Rd, West Hoe, PL1 3BY. 01752 221409, (fish and chips)
- Eateries near Premier Inn PL3 6RW:
- Marsh Mill Beefeater PL3 6RW. 01752 600660 (probably best for keen meat eaters!)
- Penguin Lounge, Ashford Crescent PL3 5AA. 01752 220167 (lots of variety, about 2.2 miles mostly flat by bike)
- Brook Inn, 33 Longbrook St, Plympton PL7 1NJ. 01752 297604 (pub grub and gourmet burgers, about 2.5 miles flat by bike)
- Jasmins, 81-83 Ridgeway, Plympton PL7 2AA. 01752 340300 (French, about 2 miles flat by bike)
- The Premier Inn also has its own restaurant, but I haven’t looked into this in detail.
- Eateries near Ibis Inn PL6 8LR:
- Simla, 71 Delamere Rd, PL6 5X.F 01752 783037 (Indian, also does take-away, about 0.5 miles by bike)
- Penguin Lounge as under Premier Inn, about 1.5 miles.
- The Ibis Inn also has its own restaurant, but I haven’t looked into this in detail.
Sunday - Plymouth to Exeter
Daytime - Sue
- Route 1
- Morning. Yelverton. (approx 11 miles). The only premises open on a Sunday is The Rock Inn, but I will check nearer the time to see if the Knightstone tea rooms reopens. It appears to be shut completely at present.
- Lunch. Okehampton, The Old Station Tea Rooms or Waitrose School Way EX20 1WL
- Afternoon. Woodleigh Coach House ,open until 5pm
- Route 2
- Morning , This route bypasses pubs at Yelverton and Dousland so will need to go a bit further to Princetown (approx 16 miles) 3 central cafes
- Tor Cafe Fox Two Bridges rd Pl 20 6QJ open until 5pm
- The Old Police Station Tavistock rd PL20 6QF
- The Lord's Cafe Tavistock rd PL20 6QE
- Lunch or tea!?
- Moretonhampstead, Gateway Tea Rooms New street TQ13 8PE, open til 5pm
- Route 3
- Morning South Brent (approx 13 miles)
- Not many open on a Sunday - but The Pack Horse Inn Stable Tea rooms , Totnes rd
- Lunch Chudleigh Knighton, Clay Cutters Arms TQ13 OEY, open from 11.30
- Lunch or tea. Trago Mills
- Tea, Haldon MTB centre, (n.b. Haldon Grill closes 2.00 pm on a Sunday )
The route is nominally along the south coast of Cornwall. We plan to have overnight stops in Penzance, Falmouth, Fowey, and Plymouth.
|Wed 4th May||Penzance|
|Thu 5th May||Falmouth|
|Fri 6th May||Fowey|
|Sat 7th May||Plymouth|
Most have booked a train down to Penzance on Wednesday 4th May.
|1||Mike B||cycling down||-|
|2||Sue B||cycling down||-|
|17||Wolf J||Plymouth||19:33 or 19:54|
Hotels and B&Bs Booked
Penzance - Wednesday 4th May
- Penmorvah, 61 Alexandra Rd, Penzance. TR18 4LZ (8 booked)
- Carnson House, 2 East Terrace, Penzance. TR18 2TD (6 booked)
- Con Amore Guest House, 38 Morrab Rd, Penzance. TR18 4EX (3 booked - one spare bed available for male sharing)
Falmouth - Thursday 5th May
- Eden Lodge, 54 Melvill Rd, Falmouth. TR11 4DQ (17 booked)
Fowey - Friday 6th May
- The Galleon Inn, 12 Fore St Fowey. PL23 1AQ (10 booked)
- The Ship Inn, Trafalgar Square, Fowey. PL23 1AZ (4 booked)
- Emms Cottage, 19 St Austell Rd, St Blazey, Par. PL24 2EF (2 booked)
- Well House, 31 Fore St, Fowey. PL23 1AH (1 booked)
Plymouth - Saturday 7th May
- The Premier Inn, Plymouth East, 300 Plymouth Rd, Plymouth. PL3 6RW (4 booked)
- Hotel Ibis Plymouth, Longbridge Road, Marsh Mills, Forder Valley, Plymouth. PL6 8LR (7 booked)
- Mariners Guest House, 11 Pier St, Plymouth Hoe, PL1 3BS (5 booked)
|Thursday 5th May||Penzance||Falmouth||1||50 km||730 m||87 km||map||map|
|Thursday 5th May||Penzance||Falmouth||2||52 km||765 m||90 km||map||map|
|Friday 6th May||Falmouth||Fowey||1||56 km||860 m||99 km||map||map|
|Friday 6th May||Falmouth||Fowey||2||60 km||1,050 m||113 km||map||map|
|Saturday 7th May||Fowey||Plymouth||1||49 km||1,080 m||103 km||map||map|
|Sunday 8th May||Plymouth||Exeter||1||95 km||1,140 m||152 km||map||map|
|Sunday 8th May||Plymouth||Exeter||2||78 km||1,430 m||150 km||map||map|
|Sunday 8th May||Plymouth||Exeter||3||78 km||1,120 m||134 km||map||map|
There are three roles available:-
- “Expert Leader” who will review (and possibly modify) one of the routes on the web site and be prepared to lead it.
- “Tea & Coffee Monitor” who will research suitable cafes en-route.
- “Evening Meal Reviewer” who will look for appropriate eateries for the evening – remember that we have some vegetarians in our group.
|Wednesday||Penzance||locations for evening meal||Sheena|
|Thursday||locations for morning coffee & afternoon tea||Glenis|
|Thursday||lead route 1||Roy|
|Thursday||lead route 2||Keith|
|Thursday||Falmouth||locations for evening meal||Wolf|
|Friday||locations for morning coffee & afternoon tea||Hugh|
|Friday||lead route 1||Roger|
|Friday||lead route 2||Mike|
|Friday||Fowey||locations for evening meal||Lyndsay|
|Saturday||locations for morning coffee & afternoon tea||Penny|
|Saturday||lead route 1||Stephanie|
|Saturday||lead route 1||Tom|
|Saturday||Plymouth||locations for evening meal||Jenny|
|Sunday||locations for morning coffee & afternoon tea||Sue|
|Sunday||lead route 1||Alan|
|Sunday||lead route 2||Marilyn|