CTC Exeter - Newsletter - May 2012
Roy Russell & Kirby James
HGVs in Bus Lanes - Your Help Needed
Do you use Bus Lanes in Exeter?
Devon County Council intend to allow HGVs (Heavy Goods Vehicles) to use all of the Bus Lanes in Exeter.
We are interested in your views. Please complete the very short on-line survey - many thanks.
Gem Bridge opens
The new Gem Bridge has opened. It crosses the River Walkham, just one mile north west of Horrabridge. The bridge has a span of 200 metres and forms part of the Drake's Trail linking Tavistock with Horrabridge, Yelverton and Plymouth.
The original rail viaduct which was designed by Brunel was demolished in the 1960s.
Airport Link complete
The new link from Clyst Honiton to Exeter Airport, through the Airport's Long Stay car park, is now open.
Exe Estuary Trail
Work on the new bridge over the Clyst, next to the railway, will start shortly. Completion is scheduled for late 2013 to minimise disturbance to wildlife.
Negotiation with landowners, for the Powderham Railway Bridge continues.
Devon County Show
The Toucan crossing on Sidmouth Road was turned off again this year during the County Show. In spite of protests last year, there was no consultation with the Exeter Cycle Forum. Closure notices went up only a few hours beforehand. A diversion was signposted, but as it was nearly 2 miles long it merely emphasised the importance of the crossing.
Calls have been made for Devon County Council to encourage sustainable travel to the County Show.
Sustrans Spring Newsletter
Martin Burrows, the Sustrans Bike It Officer, has released the latest newsletter which, as well as describing Sustrans' work with schools in the Exeter area includes news of all of Sustrans' schools work in the South West region.
- read about one local seven year old pupil who has cycled one thousand miles to school
- find out which nearby areas now have new Bike it officers working hard to get more children wkalking, cycling and scooting to school
- find out how children can become Sustrans Heroes.
If you or your children are interested in Sustrans' Bike It work - please contact one of the following
- Exeter: Marton Burrows - 07884 075 207 - email@example.com
- Torbay: Tracey Fey - 01803 208 823 - Tracey.Fey@sustrans.org.uk
- Sustrans website: http://www.sustrans.org.uk
- Bike It Website: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/bike-it
Offers from Devon County Council
Tour Series hits the English Riviera
The Halfords Tour Series will visit Torquay for the first time, on Tuesday 5th June, for an action packed evening of racing to conclude the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend. Further details here
Exeter Naked Bike Ride 2012
This year the Exeter Naked Bike Ride will run from Trews Weir to Turf Hotel on Saturday 9th June.
‘The Adventures of Don Quixote by Bicycle’
See the kingdom of La Mancha by Bicycle, and live to tell the tale.
This summer, Burn The Curtain are performing ‘The Adventures of Don Quixote - by Bicycle’ ! Travelling together, actors and audiences will experience the imaginary escapades of Don Quixote de La Mancha and his squire Sancho Panza, as you have never seen them before.
Performances in Exeter will be held on
- Friday 6 July: 6.45pm – 8.45pm
- Sunday 8 July: 2.30pm – 4.30pm & 6.45pm-8.45pm
- Friday 13 July: 6.45pm – 8.45pm
- Saturday 14 July: 2.30pm – 4.30pm & 6.45pm – 8.45pm
- Sunday 15 July: 11.00am - 1.00pm & 2.30pm – 4.30pm
For further details please refer here.
The whole experience was commissioned by Beaford Arts, funded by the Arts Council England, Devon County Council
and Exeter City and supported by Exeter CTC.
The Jubilee 60 - The South Devon Classic Sportive
The South Devon Classic Sportive is being run on Saturday 7 July from Ivybridge, around the South Hams. This event is being organised by friends of the Coach House Centre; raising funds to establish a youth and community centre in rural South Devon.
Further details here
Velo Vintage are organising their inaugural ride from Exmouth on Sunday 9 September. Tweed optional.
News from the World of Cycling
Local Events List
- 3 June (Sunday): Launceston Audax Rides: 100 km over Bodmin Moor, 162 km over Dartmoor or 203 km Bodmin and Dartmoor
- 5 June (Tuesday): Halfords Tour Series visits Torquay including Torbay Council Community Race
- 9 June (Saturday): Exeter Naked Bike Ride
- 16-24 June: Bike Week
- 17 June (Sunday): CTC Map Reading Competition from Escot
- 24 June (Sunday): Force Charity Ride, Topsham
- 1 July (Sunday): Devon Delight Audax, Newton Abbot This website will be updated soon.
- 7 July (Saturday): South Devon Classic Sportive 40 mile and 11 mile sportive, Ivybridge
- 8 July (Sunday): Jurrassic Classic 100km and 100 Mile Sportive, Exmouth
- 15 July (Sunday): Jurrasic Roller Coaster Audax, Budleigh Salterton
- 29 July (Sunday): The Great Tour Audaxes 50, 100, 150 km, Seaton
- 8 September (Saturday): Moor 2 Sea Sportive - Start Exeter Race Course 108 or 180 km (funds to Help for Heroes and the Dartmoor Search & Rescue Team)
- 9 September (Sunday) Velo Vintage ride from Exmouth
- 15 September (Saturday): Tour of Britain comes to Devon
A reminder that you can report highway maintenance issues using the on-line map-based interface
The Devon County email address for reporting problems is firstname.lastname@example.org